The Rise of Burden Bluggerbuckle
This brilliantly simple fantasy adventure is great for both role-playing novices and seasoned pros alike.
So, what's it all about:
What reviewers make of it:
- Rated 8/10 by Zatu's independent review team: "everyone loved this quirky, unique experience. We laughed, we danced, and we all acted like lunatics. The writing...is often hilarious...and this is a joy to play!"
- Described by Tabletop Gaming Magazine as 'fabulous fun' and included in their Best Games of March newsletter
Burden Bluggerbuckle is an orc on a mission. His boyfriend's just been murdered and he's pretty angry about it. Hell-bent on making the entire world know his pain and imbued with the power of an ancient and terrifying magical artefact, Burden's sending shivers down the spines of all folk great and small. From little gnomes to giant trolls, the citizens of the Plains need a ragtag group of heroes to save them.
So, what say you, friend? Are you and your team fearless enough to fight Burden's many allies and prevent an era of despotic rule? Or will you stand idly by and do nothing?
Okay, so you're brave enough. What's the Great Plains like?
It's a tough old place. You'll have to play through sixteen unique locations and meet an ensemble cast of wacky characters on your journey. They include belligerent goblins, dishevelled wizards, orcs who just want to be loved, and trolls with a dangerous fascination for obstacle courses. Some of them need help. Some of them want to kill you.
How to play:
- Create your own characters using the Player Character Sheets provided. For extra fun, introduce forfeits for breaking character!
- Once you've created your character, play in three easy steps:
Listen to the challenges described in the book.
Unleash your imagination to think up crazy solutions.
Roll dice to see if your action succeeds. Be careful not to epic fail!
Sometimes you'll also have to complete a hilarious game to complete the objective.
The book contains everything players need to get started, including cut-out Player Character Sheets, rules, and story. Supporting digital material includes digital dice (you can use three six-sided dice if you prefer), instructional podcasts, and downloadable rules.
What differentiates it from other role-playing games?
- Swap Games Masters at each location, so don't get stuck as the forever GM (unless you want to!).
- No complex rule sets to learn. Get up and running in under 20 minutes. It's that easy to play!
- Be whoever you want to be. You've never had more freedom when creating your character. If you can think it, you can be it. There's no limitations on character class, race, or lore.
- Break the fourth wall. Instead of rolling dice, players are sometimes required to complete a party game. Real-life party games bring the game to life, energising players and making the game feel more real.
Additional game detail:
- 3-6 players recommended
- Mature themes: parental discretion advised. Due to some mature themes being present in the book, we recommend that if you play with young children, an adult takes on the role of Games Master. Seb from Zatu did this and awarded the game an 8/10 rating, so it is possible to make the game child friendly and still have an awesome time!
- Size: A4
Review for The Rise of Burden Bluggerbuckle
Hours of entertainment
I was never a fan of rpg until now! Witty, imaginative and hours of fun!
A newbie and total convert to RPG!
Played remotely with the family over lockdown after a recommendation. It was a right good laugh, really enjoyed.
Hours of fun!
A brilliantly witty, super fun, easy to grasp adventure. We played as a large group and had an amazing evening! The inventive storyline and unusual characters drew in even the less-nerdy members of our group. Would thoroughly recommend and cannot wait to play again over Christmas!
Great Fun with Friends over Zoom
Really Great Fun, played it with a mix of people who have never played role playing games and some that are seasoned pros. It was awesome. Also really great to do virtually as well, meet up and have fun with friends without it having to be ANOTHER ZOOM QUIZ!